Monday, April 25, 2011

end game

I was twelve years old when my father got me interested in chess.  About three times a week he would bring out the chess board and we'd play a few games at the dining room table.  I knew how to play the game but he knew how to play it better and kicked my ass every time.  Chess is a game of tactics and strategy that involves maneuvering your pieces in a long range strategy while concentrating on immediate maneuvers of attack and defense.  My opening and middlegame abilities were slightly less than my father's but it was my weak endgame that always did me in.

I knew it was a learning experience and the only way to improve your game is by playing someone better than you, but I was getting tired of losing.  I decided to do something about it.

The next day I had a talk with one of the guys in the chess club and told him I needed something to beat an experienced player.  We set up the board, discussed tactics and he showed me a strategy for a six move checkmate.
That night I challenged my father to a game and he promptly accepted.  Let's bet on it, I said.  Twenty bucks.  He smiled and said, "ok"  We set up the board, did the opening and middlegame, and got my ass kicked, as usual, in the final round.  Acting like a sore loser, I demanded a rematch and double the bet.  "If that's what you want," he said.  I guess he figured it was good for my character to pay him 40 bucks so he smiled and we set up the board again.  This time, I did my opening and put him in checkmate in six moves.  I was counting my money while he studied the board in shock and disbelief that his twelve year old son not only clobbered him in six moves but hustled him like Paul Newman.

I see the same scenario in the Middle East.  It's not a chance occurrence all these Middle Eastern countries are in a state of revolution.  This isn't the beaten down masses rising together to bring down the dictator du jour.  Clearly, this is an endgame move culminating from strategy made years ago by people who know how to play the game.  It all sounds like a universal cry for freedom but that's part of the strategy.  A revolution can't succeed without lots of support and if the dictator doesn't step down quick enough, the support comes from another country in the form of no fly zones, drone aircraft and military intervention.  Just ask Kadaffi or Gaddafi or Qaddafi or whatever his name is.

I should point out that I'm only a fair chess player and my victory required advice from someone well versed in that area.

Obama isn't a chess player but his Middle East gamesmanship has Zbigniew Brzezinski's finger prints all over it.

The difference is my adviser didn't use me as a facilitator in his chess game of world control.

I wonder what country will enforce no-fly rules over the USA when the revolution takes to the streets.


 

No comments: