Saturday, September 26, 2015

strange quantum things are afoot

I find it interesting how the vast majority of people remember the Berinstein Bears and not the Berinstain Bears.  I was never a fan but I remember the name with a stein and not a stain.  That puts me in the majority, from my bullshit research of asking everybody I see about the proper spelling.

Most just give me a shoulder shrug with a so what attitude but I can't help thinking there's more to this than a general lapse in memory.

It seems there are two camps.  One, who remember absolutely the bears with a stein and those with a stain.  And two, those who are most adamant that stain was always the proper spelling.  The stain to stein camp is roughly 20 to 80, from the information I gathered.  Way more than a simple faulty childhood memory.

There are other memory faults such as the color of Bill Murray's hair on the "Lost In Translation" dvd cover or the date and circumstances of Nelson Mandala’s death.  History has been changed for some of us and I think it's tied to my previous, possible quantum jump. 

I tend to think this sort of thing happens more often than we realize, and once again, I think I have a workable theory.

Due to the rather large number of people who firmly believe the Berinstein Bears were spelled as stein, as opposed to stain that cover every Berinstein Book ever printed, I wonder if these stein people are not of this world but body switched from a parallel reality, en mass, due to a catastrophic event in another reality.  By nature, different parallel realities have slightly different histories and lasting childhood memories might survive the transition.

This "memory fault" has been studied for a few decades.  People from all walks of life were asked to write down on paper where they were at various notable points in history, such as John Lennon’s death or the Challenger space shuttle disaster.  Points in history where the time and place and what they were doing is hard wired to our brain circuitry.  A decade or two later, the same people were asked the same questions and many remembered completely different circumstances.  When shown what they wrote the first time they were asked, these people all said the same thing.  "That's my handwriting but that's not what I said."

To quote Theodore Ted Logan, "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."     



Thanks Rainbird for the tangent navigation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I try to help out where I can......;-)