Saturday, January 11, 2020

an appetite hankering

For two weeks I've had this hankering for anchovies.  I can't explain it.  I always hated anchovies but I had this serious drive to consume those salty, oily little fishes.  I also hate eating sardines.  Kippered herring is great but those sardines and anchovies are enough to make me hurl.  But have em, I gotta do, so I got a 2 oz. can and tonight I decided to do it with a little rum chaser.

Oh my god... As soon as I opened the can I knew I was making a big mistake.  The smell was turning my stomach but I was past the point of no return. I pulled out a slimy little anchovy from the can and ate it.  It was fuckin gross but I couldn't stop now.  I ate another, and another, until the can was nothing but oil. 

I had this crap anchovy oil on my hands and desk and immediately washed it off and drank a glass of rum.  I can still taste the anchovies.

I figure my body needed whatever is in anchovies and rather than fight it, I went with it.  Ya gotta follow your appetites.  For what it's worth, I feel lots better than I did, so I must be doing something right.

Next time I get an appetite hankering I hope it's for something like bananas or mangoes, or something I can deal with.  

      

No comments: