Thursday, February 13, 2020

avocado discovery

I've been eating avocados since I picked my first one in Puerto Rico decades ago.  Like many things in life, the first was the best and a fresh picked avocado is hard to beat.  After that, they've all been somewhat mediocre.  But I like em just the same.

My preferred method of consuming a ripe avocado is cutting it in half and eating it with a spoon.  Simple and easy.  That's the way I roll, baby.

The last time I got avocados, I picked out some fairly firm ones only to realize those things were far from ripe.  It took some effort just cutting it in half and I had to quarter it just to get the pit out.  This was inedible but instead of tossing it I saw an opportunity for experimentation.

I peeled and diced it and sauteed it in butter with a little salt.  After a few minutes it began to look like home fries.  Would you believe it even tasted like home fries!  I mean, damn good!

I've had ripe avocado lightly sauteed that tasted like warm avocado but only the very unripe fruit seems to take on the characteristics of potato when browned.  It makes sense that unripe fruit would have a lack of flavor and just a bit of cooking could resemble a potato taste.  In my opinion, potato is pretty much tasteless, compared to other produce, anyway.  

For anyone involved in a ketogenic lifestyle, this is a godsend.  After a few minutes search I couldn't find anything on the internet associating avocados with potatoes.  I can't be the only one who tried working with extremely unripe avocados.  There seems to be no mention of it anywhere.  Lots of recipes using potatoes and avocados but nothing about avocado as a potato substitute but it got me thinking of other ways to turn avocados into au gratin, mashed, or as a potato substitute for Hungarian goulash. 

Avocados could be the healthiest fruit out there.  Most of the calories in avocado come from fat. A whole avocado contains about 21 grams of fat, but mostly in the form of healthier monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid containing oleic acid which is beneficial in reducing inflammation, cardiovascular health, and to some extent, dealing with cancer.

Avocados contain large proportions of fiber, which also helps in controlling blood sugar and lowering insulin levels.  The fiber also lowers the carbohydrate count making it a perfect keto food.

Avocado has been tested to be effective in controlling cholesterol.

In a ketogenic diet, your carb count should be 20 grams or less per day.  That's seven avocados or one medium potato.  Seven avocados also has the added benefit of supplying a days worth of potassium as well.
    

 avocado macros 1 medium
  • Calories: 227
  • Fat: 21g
  • Sodium: 11mg
  • Carbohydrates: 12g   (subtract fiber from carbs gives you  2.8 grams)
  • Fiber: 9.2g
  • Sugars: 0.4g
  • Protein: 2.7g 
 potato macros 2/3 cup
  • Calories: 87
  • Water: 77%
  • Protein: 1.9 grams
  • Carbs: 20.1 grams   20.1-1.8=18.3 grams
  • Sugar: 0.9 grams
  • Fiber: 1.8 grams
  • Fat: 0.1 grams


Truly, a super food worthy of praise that can possibly be a potato substitute.  I can't say the same for potatoes.

Avocado salad?  Hmmm...




          

1 comment:

Rainbird said...

When I was a kid, my idea of an avocado salad was putting oil and vinegar into the seed divet. It holds just the right amount to last for the entire half an avocado.