Wednesday, January 23, 2008

it's just a job

In the summer of '84 I had the opportunity to transport a truck load of batteries to the Ford motor company in Detroit, MI. I was very excited driving around in the center of the automobile industry but being a stranger, I found myself hopelessly lost in one of the seedier parts of town. I drove around for quite some time before I realized I needed directions. Up ahead I saw the lights of what appeared to be a police car. Great! These guys know the roads. I'll ask them. I got to the flashing lights, double parked my rig and as I was walking across the street I noticed about six guys up against the wall, spread eagle, while a cop was patting them down. I walked up to the cop and said "excuse me, officer". He turned in mid pat and looked at me. I said I was looking for the Ford motor company and got lost downtown. He smiled and said I was in the wrong neighborhood and turned and pointed out the route I should take to get back on track again. The cop acted like a gas station attendant, temporarily putting his regular work on hold to tend to a customer, only these weren't oil cans he was counting. As he was giving me directions, I glanced at the guys up against the wall and wondered if they had any weapons and if they'd use them, now that the cop had his back to them. The cop seemed like a pretty decent guy and we even chit chatted a bit before I left. As I closed the door to my rig I saw the cop give me a wave as he turned and continued to pat down the rest of the guys.

I guess it's the same everywhere. Any break from the routine, mundane, monotony of work is a welcome relief.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

No comments: