Tuesday, December 16, 2014

another coil

Distilling basic alcohol is a relatively simple process.  Under the right conditions, you can turn water, sugar, and yeast into some high proof ethanol.  The trick is to refine the process using grain to produce something better than a low grade redneck vodka by allowing some of the flavor to get passed the distilling process.

Ethanol will vaporize around 174 degrees F. and running a rum or grain mash at this temperature will give you some high proof stuff but little character.

Running it fast and hot can help carry over some flavor, as long as your condenser can keep up with the higher temps.  Which got me working on the unit you see below.

Inside this three inch PVC pipe is about fifteen feet of tightly packed copper coil.  Cold water is introduced through the bottom hose and the warm water exits through the top.  It took a lot of trial and error to prove to myself which direction the water should flow.  Common sense says cold water at the top of the condenser should condense the vapour faster and lock in the flavor.  Some distillers introduce water through the base without a good explanation as to why.  I tried a few things and think I found the answer.

By using a 5 gallon condenser, I noticed higher proof and lower flavor when adding cold water to the top of the coil and more flavor when the water got hotter.  This got me to rig up a system introducing cold to the bottom while syphoning hot water from the top using a submersible pump.  I later added a ball valve to the syphon to adjust the flow.  The results were dramatic and proved that keeping the condenser fluid hot and progressively cooler towards the bottom produces the best flavors while keeping the alcohol percentage high.

Which brings me to this condenser pictured to the left.  It's a compact version of the 5 gallon bucket and coil condenser with the ability to regulate the coolant temperature by adjusting the water flow.  Slightly larger than a liebig with more coolant and 15 feet of copper tube makes this unit a nice addition to get the most from a hot running pot still.

I still haven't wrapped my head around why the coolant temperature has anything to do with flavor but I'm working on it.  Ideas?  Anyone?  

I wonder of Popcorn Sutton knew about this?

I plan to run this thing tonight to see if I'm on the right track.  I'll know in a few hours.



4 comments:

Rb said...

Enquiring minds want to know, Tom.

Rb

karmasurfer said...

A word to the wise... Liquid nails and silicone are poor substitutes for PVC cement. As soon as it got up to running speed the seals failed, spraying the whole working area with coolant.
I finished with the 5 gallon condenser but it's back to square one for the new coil.
Live a little, learn a little.

Rb said...

Or fire your current lab assistant.

Rb

karmasurfer said...

Or hire a technician who can follow instructions.