Thursday, August 13, 2009

it's watermelon time

When I saw all those dead watermelon vines, all I could think was green watermelon. Sure, green watermelon has it's place but not in this house. So, I set it on the counter and thought about who to give it to.

In the meantime, I needed bread for tomorrow so I made a few loaves of onion/rosemary bread. Not to sound too egotistical, my bread is the best, and packing a loaf of this food of the gods with ham, salami, cucumbers, and mayo is a gastronomical slice of heaven that would make Escoffier cry with joy with a single bite.

The bread was excellent but I kept eye balling that pitiful excuse for a watermelon on my counter. I figured if it was going to go, I may as well take a peek inside.

Let me tell ya, this scarlet morsel tastes just as wonderful as it looks.

As I was taking hits from a chunk of bread and then a watermelon slice it dawned on me...
The best things in life are the simple ones, where we don't expect much but are wondrously overjoyed when a harsh exterior holds something so sweet and delicious.


Just like some people we know.

5 comments:

Katey said...

Oh my Gawd, both the bread and the watermelon look soooooo great. Terrific job, T!

Rita said...

right there with ya honey, shoot a plum tree yesterday and am making the pie right now. hope it turns out as good as your bread, and omg I LOVE watermellon. wish i was there. let ya know about my pie

Rita said...

ha ha, shook the plum tree. we do not get guns over here, so no shooting trees. oh well, still makes good pies

KT said...

Rita, think before you post, especially before you post naked and send pictures to Lofas, maybe then you would realize that you don't shoot a plum tree, asswipe!

Rita said...

actually, I had clothes on. sour flat chested girls. move on idiots.
Mary do not make me tell the world about your morbid little secrets, the reasons I blocked you from constantly emailing, blaa blaa blaa