Wednesday, August 26, 2009

tobacco

I've been ignoring the garden since my lawnmower went on the fritz several weeks ago. I figured the garden would have to wait, since my yard was turning into a hay field. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but there aint no sign of drought here. More rain than I ever saw in August and I only watered the garden once this year.

Anyway... I fixed the mower and went on to fixing the garden, only to find the Turkish tobacco plants were already flowering. This is my first attempt at growing tobacco so each step is a learning process. I figured, if Al Gore can do it, I can do it.

Note the difference between the flowering Turkish tobacco and the Virginia bright to the left. I wasn't expecting such a radical difference.

One thing I learned is I could have doubled the amount of plants if I had planted them in rows instead of using square foot gardening methods. Oh well, I'm new at this. No one is an expert, at first.


Shortly after taking these pictures I broke off the flowers to force growth to the leaves. I don't know what to make of the Virginia bright. I mean, they look bright enough to me, but I was expecting a flower stalk by now. No bother... I'll harvest whether they flower or not.


I wonder if those leaves will make good cigars?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Smoking Makes You Impotent" and "Smoking Kills"

Anonymous said...

"smoking gives life spice"

Eowyn said...

A little bit of credit -- both from the tobacco plants, which I helped baby -- AND the garden plants, which I PLANTED ... would be appreciated.

Not expecting it. No surprise.

Self.

karmasurfer said...

Giving you credit for the garden, just because you buried a couple plants, is like a dead-beat dad getting credit for how well his kid did in college, just because he got a girl pregnant from a one night stand.

Rita said...

wow, the natives are restless arn't they. ha ha ha, so funny.

angelzwild said...

There's nothing funny about it, Rita. Now, fight nice, kidz!!! Remember when you both were madly in love with each other!!! Dwell on those memories.

Eowyn said...

"...just because you buried a couple plants, is like a dead-beat dad getting credit for how well his kid did in college, just because he got a girl pregnant from a one night stand."

Is that really how you feel about creating new life?

To accuse the midwife of the sins of the newly born is a bit egregious, thinks me.

karmasurfer said...

Angelzwild, are you referring to when Rita and Eowyn were madly in love or when Rita and I were madly in love?

KT said...

You know quite clearly what I was referring to. For any woman to send pictures of her tits and her ass for your enjoyment need not laugh at others.

Anonymous said...

i'm very grateful to the women who have shared, first hand, their knowledge about tom, i would have been the next victim.

oh what a loser this little pathetic person is.

/name with-held by MY choce.

Anonymous said...

Dude,

sounds to me like you lost two incredible women by being a total dick and no manning up to being a real Man. Hell, those girls that got awy from you are luckier than your little mind will ever comprehend.

Sleep with the fishes,

karmasurfer said...

Kate a.k.a. Anonymous, KT, Angelzwild... you're an ex for a very good reason and now you've made it abundantly clear to anyone reading this what a total ass you really are.

Did I or Rita give you any reason for such vicious attacks?
You hang around here like some demented troll, puking your vile crap on anyone and everyone you THINK insulted you.

Why don't you act like the lady you claim you are rather than the gutter slut everyone knows you are?

karmasurfer said...

BTW, consider yourself blocked. You've abused your privileges for the last time.