Friday, December 03, 2010

some things never change

Some of the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

About a year ago I was talking to a friend who said she ran into an old ex of mine in a bar. 
Tammy told me she had a lengthy conversation with Francesca who told her that I still had her record collection and she'd like to have it back but she doesn't want to ask me for it.

I thought about this for awhile and decided she should have them.  Even though half the records were mine, I thought it would be a nice gesture to give her the whole collection, as well as a brand new turntable.  I mean, what the hell... It's just taking up space and if she wants it, she can have it all and I'll even throw in a couple hundred video tapes.

So, I decided to write her a letter and send it snail mail, since she doesn't have a computer, and a phone call out of the blue would be slightly less shocking than a surprise appearance at her door.  It was a simple letter asking how she's doing and I hope she's doing well and I have all these records, many of which are hers and very rare, and I'd like her to have them.  I can deliver them anywhere she wants.  Just let me know.

About two weeks later I got a response:

Thanks for thinking of me, but I really don't want any of it.
If I haven't missed any of it in ten years I doubt I'll miss it in the next ten,
Throw it away or give it to the Salvation Army, or burn it.
It really doesn't matter.


Francesca


Then I remembered why I broke up with her.



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello T, hope you are good. love Reet

karmasurfer said...

Thanks, Reet. Doin great and Merry Christmas to you.