Monday, December 11, 2017

a newly discovered liver tonic

It's no secret I'm very fond of rum.  It's my go to beverage of choice.  The virtual versatility of this beverage is astounding.  It goes with just about anything, especially if it's tropical fruits.  On it's own, in straight form, I find it more acceptable to my psyche than even Irish whiskey, my second favorite hard liquor beverage.

But here's a problem.  I know drinking rum every day could do some harm to my system, particularly my liver.  Although my most recent blood test shows my liver to be well functioning, it's still my third favorite organ and needs a little attention from time to time.  To counter the abuse I put to my third favorite organ, I've been drinking apple cyder vinegar on a regular basis.  Apple cider vinegar repairs my liver while rum tends to mess it up.  Basic physiology.

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that sooner or later I'll come up with a concoction that includes both apple cider vinegar and alcohol, that is, if you've been paying any attention to this blog.  I mean, sooner or later every experiment I come up with combines good and evil to create something fabulous, right?  Tonight is no exception.

I took a small glass of rum and added a couple splashes of apple cider vinegar just to see what it tastes like.  The idea was to come up with a drink that the good and evil would cancel each other out.  I figured if it tasted like shit, it's a small glass and it'll be empty quick.  Let me tell ya... I'm on my second glass of this stuff.  I mean, the combination of rum and apple cider vinegar creates a total obliteration of both tastes.  It's not rum and it's not vinegar.  It's something completely different and I really like it.  It doesn't have the rum burn and it doesn't have the vinegar pucker.  It's the whole that's better than the sum of it's parts.

Granted, like I said, I like rum but vinegar is something I'll drink because it's good for me and nothing more. (typical type A)  But this stuff... It's indescribably interestingly good.

I should point out that adding too much vinegar will produce a drink that tastes more like vinegar than rum.  I caution you to add prudently.  This is still experimental.  You're looking for a balance in taste.  When you find it, you'll know it. 

I figure this combination should be no worse than neutral for my liver and if I continue to take apple cider vinegar, my liver will dramatically improve.  Hence, I've created a pleasurable, alcoholic drink that supports liver function while getting you totally shitfaced, guilt-free.

I should start a whole line of healthy alcohol related products.  What do ya think?

        

No comments: