Thursday, December 07, 2017

when you say no to wine, you say no to life

After my foray with cheap home made wine, I decided to up my game a little and invest in some decent juice and do it the right way.  I got busy on some Petit Syrah juice from California, and at the same time, threw together a batch of apple/peanut butter wine, a batch of barley corn and rum ferments, another six gallons of frozen concentrated stuff, and to round it out, six gallons of hard cider.  I decided to call it quits when I came across a spare bucket of juice from Merlot grapes.

Ok, some of this stuff I was just about to pitch because I had second thoughts on the combination of apples and peanut butter in a wine.  The result was sweeter than my taste buds could handle but everyone who tried it raved about it and wanted more, like I added something addictive to the mix.  Rather than pitch it, it's going to be Christmas presents, along with some business cards and cheap, plastic glasses.

In my opinion, the best of the bunch was the Merlot.  Man alive... This stuff came out better than expected and at least equal to the stuff that comes from Napa valley.  It took less than one bottle to convince me to not only give this stuff a decent label but to make an effort to produce this wine, and others like it, in bulk and establish a winery of my own.

It's a semi-dry wine with all the rich nuances that makes Merlot second only to Cabernet Sauvignon as the most popular grape since France learned how to make wine and it goes with everything.  It's also 20% of the blend used to produce the world renowned Rubicon, which can't be found in the liquor stores and wineries I frequent.  In my humble opinion, the Rubicon I had was the finest wine I ever tasted, which instigated my interlude with Irish whisky and Puerto Rican rum.  Hey, I had the best wine.  No sense pulling any more corks expecting anything close.

Now that I'm back on track, my next trick is producing the remaining 80% of the Rubicon blend in extreme bulk and offer it for sale, along with other choice wines for those with good taste and a passion for great wines.

So, ya like the new label?

    

2 comments:

Rainbird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rainbird said...

Beautiful!