Monday, July 09, 2007

My lucky day

Are you one of those people who refuse to pick up a penny unless it's heads up? I know a lot of people like this. They'll pick up a heads-up penny because it's good luck but won't touch a penny that's heads down. I think it's a regional thing. To the rest of the world a found penny is a good thing but only in this area of PA, mostly Schuylkill county and surrounding areas, is a found penny a good thing only half the time. It must be the sub-human inhabitants that live here. These are the progeny of that rugged coal mining stock from Eastern Europe who were too stupid to go west with the rest of the pioneers so they stayed in Schuylkill county, digging coal with their bare hands from deep underground like a race of cave trolls. And these specimens won't pick up a penny just because it's heads up... They distrust good fortune like it's an evil genie. Someone should remind these trogs how much a penny can buy at the company store. I tried once...

I was in front of the store when I looked down and saw a penny. I noticed a woman who also saw it and asked if she was going to pick it up. She asked if it was heads up. I said, you mean if it's heads up you'll pick it up because it's lucky? She replied, yes. I then asked her if a tails-up penny is bad luck, since she put so much stock in heads-up superstition. She didn't answer. Perhaps her genetically inferior brain was busy formulating an answer. I then proceeded to explain to her that the subconscious mind deals in absolutes. To your subconscious there is no difference between a penny and a million dollars. Money is money. Your subconscious interprets your refusal to bend down to pick up a penny, even if it's heads-down, as a refusal to so much as bend at the waist for a second for any amount of money. I then asked her if it was a tails-up half dollar would she pick it up. By this time she was either embarrassed by my exposing her stupid superstitions or was in the process of trying to generate a thought. At any rate, she just stood looking at me in silence. I then looked down at the penny and said, "It's tails up. Ya want it?" I was giving her a chance to show me she understood what I was saying all this time. I had hoped she would simply bend over, pick up the penny and just think about what I said but all she did was stand there like a mute retard. So, I picked up the penny, held it up in the air and said "It's my lucky day!"

Yeah, it WAS my lucky day but I wanted so much for it to be hers too.

No comments: