Thursday, December 04, 2008

It's like Greek to me

Tom and Tyler were kind enough to bring me some white oak logs but... DAMN!

I managed to cut and split the smallest log and damn near split a gut. What the hell am I going to do with the rest of this stuff? It's easy if you have the equipment, but how do you manage this kind of mass if all you have is a few hand tools and a basic idea of a classical education?


This got me thinking about this valley before it was farm land, when ancient trees dominated the landscape and their massive canopies blocked out the sun. Those old guys knocked down all those trees, pulled out the roots, moved out the boulders and big stones, and planted crops all with simple hand tools and a few mules. It wasn't that people back then were that much stronger, but I believe they were heads and shoulders above us in smarts.

So, a couple hundred years ago men were stronger and smarter than we are now. Back then, an eighth grade education was equivalent to a masters degree, everyone built their own house with their own hands, and children chopped trees into firewood because it was an easy chore. The nanny state took over critical thinking and, at this rate, humanity will have an average I.Q. of 86 with the physical strength of a little girl within a few generations. That prognosis doesn't sit well with me.

How did we get to this point? I suppose we could start with government taking over our educational system, removing the classics from school curriculums, supplementing useless classes like black literature, black history, new math, whole language, ebonics, and eliminating the tried and true methods of phonics and classical history, resulting in a dumbed-down version of high school and college grads who can barely read, let alone figure out how to do something without being led by the hand with every detail explained with pictures.

Add to that daily doses of fluoride, insipid TV shows, PC, a retarded congress, an autistic president, and the international banking elite who want ALL your money. It's a good thing Big Pharma is there to supply us with all the sanctioned drugs we need cause this shit depresses the hell out of me.
But I digress...

What you see here is my latest project, with a simple lawn chair to show relative proportion.

It's my intention to use Archimedean principles to cut, split, and stack all this wood using only a chainsaw and a few simple hand tools.

If a Greek can do it, I can do it.

No comments: