Wednesday, August 24, 2016

it's a good thing copper is down

I finally managed to finish the new column and thumper.  I could've built this thing in a day if I didn't have to cobble it together piecemeal, but a lack of available time and inclination forced me to stretch this project out and complete it in a month.
Since I chose to build this free-form, unrestrained from conventional planning and blueprints, I had to take my time and conceptualize each step before making any cuts or permanent soldering.  The result is a multi-component unit that fits together perfectly and works better than I thought it could.  The downside is my planning.

The column is 2" by 38" long, packed with copper mesh for additional surface area.  3/4" copper pipe goes straight down to a 1/2" reducer to the thumper with an outlet to the liebig condenser.  This set-up produced a consistent 175 proof from start to finish.  The problem is running the main boiler as close to 174 F as I can and still keep it hot enough to run the thumper, which requires hot vapor to bring that vessel up to a minimum of 174 F to produce the vapor to pass through the liebig to condense to liquid.  Cranking up the heat on the boiler will only produce more water vapor, reducing the proof.

Sad to say, the design is overkill.  By that I mean a thumper on a full reflux system is like back up lights on a jet aircraft.  Ya see, a system running full reflux is already producing clean, high proof alcohol.  A thumper on a system like that can't make things better but can limit it's potential.

Conclusion... Thumpers are an excellent way to maintain a consistent proof and flavor throughout a run on a pot still but on a reflux still?   Fugetaboudit.  It's like driving a Formula 1 to work.   

Then again, if I didn't build and run this thing, I would never know for sure.  It's not a total loss by any means.   Thanks to SharkBite, the quick disconnect method I found, I can still use these components for other uses.  The use of steel washers to strengthen the base of my copper/stainless solder points was purely insightful and I cleared my garage of a lot of loose copper.

Looks like another trip to the hardware store.

        

  

No comments: