Wednesday, October 29, 2008

pumpkin pie zen


last night, I made my first pumpkin pie from scratch. Really! I started out with a Jack O Lantern pumpkin because that's what I had to start with. I scooped out the seeds and strings, carved it up, and cooked it on the stove to loosen up the pulp. The pureed goop was a bit watery so I lined a colander with paper towels and let that stuff drain while I made the pie shell. I mixed and made the pie shell in the pie tin, which I used a 50/50 mixture of olive oil and butter, only because I ran out of olive oil, and baked it for about 15 minutes.

Of course, I had to modify the filling recipe because I wasn't using a regular pie pumpkin but a large Jack O Lantern type pumpkin, which tends to have more water and is less sweet, so I added an extra egg and cut back on the evaporated milk and added a touch more sugar. I also made it a point to use only raw sugar and sea salt rather than the refined crap. The result is the best damn pumpkin pie I ever had. Not a bit of watery fluid on the bottom and the consistency of the filling was pretty damn good, considering I only used a whisk instead of a mixer. And the crust? Absolutely superb. It maintained it's flaky consistency and refused to get wet and sloppy, like every other store bought pie I've had, while imparting a semi-neutral flavor that only complimented the filling.

I suppose it would have been much easier to buy a can of pumpkin stuff, add the spices, and dump it all in a pre-made crust but that wasn't my intention. If I wanted to do it the easiest way possible I'd just buy the damn pie from a place that makes them by the hundreds, but this was supposed to be a zen exercise, not an attempt to acquire a pie.

This reminds me of something a boat builder once told me. He said, there are two reasons why someone would build a boat. One, because he needs a boat, and in that case, just buy a boat. And two, the joy of building a boat, in which case it doesn't matter if he ever finishes building it because he's building a boat for the joy of doing it.

I'm in the latter category. I didn't build a pie for profit, or to win a prize at the county fair, or because I was hungry. I made it because I wanted to.

If we all did our mundane chores with joy would life taste better?

1 comment:

Eowyn said...

"If we all did our mundane chores with joy would life taste better?"

Most assuredly :o)

But with you, all cooking is zen, so therefore is no chore at all. (And why you're so good at it!) Now, if we could apply zen enjoyment to wood cutting ...

P.S. That pie IS head and shoulders above the store-bought stuff.