Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Change and Hope

Just as we all knew would happen, Barack Hussein Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States. Hope and Change were his campaign buzz words and it was the main drive for voters to get him in and the Bushites out. For that, I'm eternally grateful, as is the rest of the world. Let's face it. GW Bush was the worst president we've ever had and his administration caused such harm to this nation that we may never completely recover.

That said, maybe Obama can reverse some of the damage the Bush administration inflicted upon us, like restoring habeus corpus and repealing the Patriot Act, for a couple of examples. No one can say due process of law is a bad idea and Obama can bring this back with a simple stroke of the pen. As it stands now, any one of us can be arrested, imprisoned indefinately, sent to another country to be tortured, all without charges, much less, a call to your lawyer. It's not only our rights as American citizens to demand of our accusers the burden of proof as to why we're being arrested but it's basic human rights in a civilized world, and the rest of the world is watching us. Bet the farm on that.

I should point out that since Obama won the presidency I'll back him 100%, but I'll also be keeping an eye on how he's doing things, as will the rest of the people who understand what "business as usual" means.

If Barack Obama is the agent of change and hope, as his campaign drilled into the American psyche for so long, let him put his high sounding words into action. I expect Obama to restore Habeus corpus his first day in office. Otherwise, he can expect a reason to not restore it because 300 million people will realize "change and hope" for Obama means business as usual, and a goodly amount of them will visit him at his new digs with a rope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was happy to read that you will be backing Obama 100%, I've never seen such a union of a Nation as I did last evening. I have hope and faith that this Country will change for the better, one step at a time.

As you say, baby steps, inch by inch is a cinch.

I'm sure that you really don't expect more from others than you would from yourself.

Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I don't do bumper stickers but if I did, I sure as chit would not even think of adorning one that says "Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul." Those, I hope, will remain silent the next four years since their vote did NOTHING for this election.

Anonymous said...

In 1868 the U.S. population was 38.5 million people. Today we have 300 million people and only 2 political parties representing them, and those parties are owned by the same people.
Unless you're a republican or a democrat you can't vote in the primaries and unless you're chosen by the party you'll never get recognition and you'll never get on the ballet.

With this system in place, the president has been chosen long before the election and your vote is meaningless, except to further cement the 2 party system.

Backing either of these parties is the same as backing tyranny.

The best we can do is hold their boys feet to the fire.

karmasurfer said...

Thanks A. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Eowyn said...

"I should point out that since Obama won the presidency I'll back him 100%"

-- As do I, because, as an American, we must stand behind our president, regardless of whether we supported him/her or not.

BUT -- this does not give him/her a free "Get Out Of Jail" card for not delivering on real expectations that we all share.

Eowyn said...

anon, you're right:

"Backing either of these parties is the same as backing tyranny."

People think there are "two parties." There aren't. There are two sets of gangsters saying what the sheep want to hear. One sez, hope and change -- the other, I'll keep you safe. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, they're trading new cards.