Sunday, July 23, 2017

a new column

I've been collecting parts for a new still column for a while.  Most parts came from my box of copper scraps but it was the 3/4" union, NPT adapter, and thermometer that I needed to turn my spare parts into what you see on the left.

The plan called for a 2" by 12" column pipe but I saw no need to keep a 4 inch piece of 2" copper pipe in my scrap box so it's a little taller than planed.  The 12" was just a guideline, anyway.  The important part is the 3/4" union that allows adjustment of the lyne arm coming from the column.  With this design I can include an eight foot horizontal lyne arm going to the condenser, or a vertical connection to the thumper, like the one pictured.  The angle of the lyne arm is crucial for flavor.  Horizontal will give you higher proof and less flavor, vertical will give more flavor and less proof.  Most rigs on the market have the lyne arm at a 45 degree angle for the best of both worlds.  This system is fully adjustable and for this application I chose vertical to include the thumper for maximum effect.

The addition of a thermometer is a luxury and a much needed tool.  In my previous setup I had to guess what the column temperature was by the sound of the marbles in the kettle.  Now I know the marbles start making noise around 105 degrees.  Since different alcohols vaporize at different temps, a thermometer comes in handy for making the cuts.  I should have a thermometer on the thumper, as well, to regulate the final product.  All in good time.

Before this run, I distilled a few gallons of water as a trial run and to clean out the pipes, I managed to bring down the total dissolved solids of the well water from 37 to 2.  Not bad.  Even better, it showed the system is tight and leak-proof and ready for anything.

I ran a rum wash to compare to previous runs, to see if any of these improvements would make any difference.  In my humble opinion, they sure as hell did.  After the first 150ml, which I tossed, the first jar came out 156 proof with a distinct molasses flavor.  Ordinarily, I would set this jar aside because of high alcohol and lack of flavor.  In this case, the flavor came through, as did the rest of the run.  As the temp rose close to 210F and the proof slowly dropped, I stopped collecting the good stuff at 110 proof and saved the last bit for recycling.  I managed to get a gallon of the tastiest 136 proof rum I ever made.  All it needs now is proofing it to 80 and whatever flavor I desire.

Analysis:  The shorter column hight and vertical drop to the thumper reduced any reflux that a taller column would produce, trading off proof for flavor.

The thumper acted as a secondary distill, eliminating potential off flavors and maintaining a consistent run.

The thermometer placed at the top of the column allowed me to maintain a consistent 195 - 200 degrees for the outgoing vapor.  Since ethanol vaporizes at 174 degrees, keeping it hotter carried more impurities in the form of flavor.

Once the temp reached 205 I detected a faint smell of tails, indicating I was reaching the end of the run.  The accuracy was spot on and the only unusable stuff was the very last jar that developed a slightly opaque look, indicating the presence of water and fusals.  This will go in the thumper on the next run.  A few gallons of dunder left in the boiler will be added to the next rum wash to improve flavor.

Now that the rum is out of the way, I can run that barley corn mash I've been sitting on.

I'll keep ya posted.

       

      

        

No comments: