Sunday, July 14, 2019

jury duty 2

Did you know the county pays you to show up for jury duty?  You not only have the honor of skipping work for a day or cancelling your trip to the shore but you get paid for it.  I got my jury duty compensation yesterday as proof the government will sometimes give back a little of what it takes.

Here's the breakdown.

1 day @ $9.00 per day...............................$9.00

50 miles @ $0.17 per mile.........................$8.50

Grand Total...............................................$17.50

I thought about sitting on this check for a while, just to mess with their books, but since it becomes void in 60 days, I'll have to do something else.

I can't help thinking the last time I did this I got $20 a day and $0.20 a mile.  It's nice to see the county is doing something to cut their expenses.  Way to go Court of Common Pleas for rolling back court costs to 1957.  I spent more for lunch that day.

I figure maybe I should give a little back and spend all this cash on lottery tickets.  It's a win win situation.  If I lose the state gets their money back.  If I win the state gets more money back.

Woohoo!  God bless America!

2 comments:

Rainbird said...

More like 1857. It costs more in bullshit bureaucracy to manage their oh, so generous gratuities to jurors and is just their quaint way of surreptitiously demonstrating the entire farce of our judicial system in this country and the fact that it operates under admiralty law. What should be a patriotic act is ass puppetry. When our flag is no longer bordered with gold fringe, then I will willingly serve as juror.
In the meantime, please win the lottery and buy us that little gray home in the West!

karmasurfer said...

Calm yourself. Just because the lawyers get 100 times the pay per hour as these perspective members of the jury get all day is no reason to dismantle the whole system. If it's admiralty law that bothers you, be content in that the queen shall be in shackles soon. It's still a good system, aside from those who have the gold makes the rules. Expect appeal after appeal until the plaintive accepts a settlement.