Monday, July 01, 2019

where's the dandelions?

For some reason, there seems to be a lack of dandelions around here.  They were here early spring but seems they have all disappeared.  I haven't seen a dandelion blossom since May, which is way not normal.  I'm not complaining but I find it rather curious that this noxious plant that dominates back yards and fields is suddenly gone.  There's a whole industry centered around eliminating dandelions and for no reason, there are none, zero, zip.

I still find the plants here and there but the blossoms that produce seed and catch the winds like little parachutes to spread like a virus everywhere are conspicuously absent and I want to know why.

I did notice, however, clover has been growing in abundance and the back yard is full of honey bees.  Remember when honey bees were on the endangered species list?  You could go a full season without seeing more than a couple.  The yard is alive with thousands of them today.  It's as if honey bees replaced all the  dandelion blossoms.

I know something weird is going on with the sun and it's causing all kinds of strange happenings.  I wonder if what's going on with the dandelions and bees are a reaction to that or something else.

I keep thinking of Occam's razor, the simplest answer is most likely the best answer.  Well, I'm stumped on this one.

Any ideas?  

1 comment:

Rainbird said...

A fruit tree that is nearing the end of it’s life cycle can bee seen to produce sparse foliage and an abundance of fruit to ensure that it’s life cycle continues. The way I see it, Mother Earth feels endangered and is stepping up her pollination game in an effort to increase vital plant production.