Tuesday, July 16, 2019

new green drink

It's one thing to recognize you need more potassium in your diet.  It's another to actually get it without making your life miserable.  There's only so much you can do with salt water and potassium before you get sick of it.  I had to find a better way.

I made a green smoothie this morning and I think I'm on to something that will not only detox my liver but act like a tonic.

Take a blender and add a handful of kale, a handful of parsley, a half teaspoon of No-Salt, a couple squirts of stevia, and some water.  Blend til semi-smooth.

Kale is loaded with iron, vitamins A, C, K, and calcium.  It's a natural detox and anti-inflammatory.  The parsley has tons of the same vitamins as kale and is excellent for bone health and lots of other stuff.  The problem is the bitterness is a real turn off.  This is where the No-Salt comes in.  A half teaspoon of No-Salt provides 1300 mg of potassium, just short of the amount required in a day.  To balance out the slight salt taste, I added a couple squirts of stevia. 

This produced a not-as-bad-as-you-might-think drink with an added bonus.  It radically boosted my energy levels.  If I had to guess why, I'd say it was due to the high amount of potassium I put in my system in a very short time.  Just like everyone else, I'm potassium deficient and filling my potassium needs put my body into homeostasis real quick.  The salt water I've been drinking is a little too much to deal with and drinking a half gallon of that stuff a day is way out of my comfort zone.  Adding only potassium to the kale and parsley toned down the bitterness and the bitterness toned down the salty taste.  Made it more neutral.  Adding stevia was the icing on the cake.  I mean, this drink was neither salt or sweet and it most definitely wasn't as bitter as it could be.

As we approach the dog days of summer, it's a good idea to find an effective way to replace your electrolytes and this drink can satisfy that without too much hardship.

I'll try this for a week and see what happens.    


No comments: